Students can access any content in an easy-to-use tool especially designed for struggling readers and language learners and integrated into Brightspace as an LTI tool.
- One-Click Webreading - Read web pages with just one click of the Listen button
- Browser Extensions - Add a free ReadSpeaker TextAid browser extension for Google Chrome and Opera, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox to enable a toolbox in the browser to listen to web pages, including PDFs, Google Docs, and Microsoft Word Online pages, as well as offer writing support. Or install the TextAid Chrome Extension centrally on all school Chromebooks.
- Reading Language and Speed - Listen to text in 21 languages and adjust the reading speed.
- Text Selection and Lookup - Listen to only selected text and perform a web search on selected words or text.
- Text Highlighting - Have the text highlighted as it is being read.
- Writing Assistance -Text is read back as it is typed, by character, completed words, and/or full sentences.
- Text Settings - Customize the text display and formatting for more comfortable reading, including special fonts that improve readability for those with dyslexia.
- Screen Mask and Reading Ruler- Focus on smaller parts of the text, or on one line at a time.
- Talking Calculator - Reads back numbers as well as calculations.
- Personal Text Library - Save any document to your personal library and access it from any browser or device. Search and upload Bookshare e-books from a Bookshare account.
- Spell Check - Check your text for spelling errors and choose from the suggested corrections.
- Translation - Translate text into any of the available languages. You can then listen to the translation or revert back to the original language.
- Dictation - Text is written out as it is spoken with speech-to-text technology.
- Document and OCR Reading - Upload your own documents in multiple formats, save them to your personal library, and access them from any device.
- Annotations - Draw or write text directly on any uploaded document. Use writing assistance and word prediction, fill in blanks or add notes and save, print, or email the document,.
- User-friendly Interface - A clear and easy-to-use interface available in multiple languages,
- Group and User Management Tools - Teachers have extensive management and reporting tools. Coordinators can manage groups and users, activate/deactivate certain features, and appoint other coordinators and teachers.
- Secure Access - All communication between your device and ReadSpeaker TextAid is fully encrypted.
- Statistics - Access to usage statistics for all TextAid coordinators.
- Sharing - Teachers and coordinators can share folders and documents, and students can ‘hand in’ work by sharing a document with a teacher.
- Assessments - Quizzes and exams can be scheduled in advance, and separate exam domains, as well as single seat sessions, make exams secure while allowing for accommodations.
- Assignments - Teachers can assign and notify students of work that they then complete and hand in, receiving a teacher’s grades or comments, all through ReadSpeaker TextAid.
Research indicates a large number of learners can benefit from consuming content in multiple ways. The automated support for having content spoken aloud is a tremendous accessibility benefit; assisting users that have reading disabilities, are new to a language, or that simply learn better by listening. ReadSpeaker TextAid helps:
- Improve comprehension
- Increase self-confidence and performance
- Give independence to choose when, where & what to read
- Motivate reluctant readers to read more
- Help students stay at peer level in all subjects
- Reduce IEP budgets
ReadSpeaker TextAid can be integrated with Brightspace Learning Environment 10.3 and above.
TextAid supports: Arabic, Chinese (Cantonese), Danish, Dutch, English (American), English (Australian), English (British), English (Indian), Finnish, French, French (Canadian), German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish (American), Spanish (Castilian), Swedish
TextAid Translation tool supports: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
TextAid Word Lookup tool supports: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
TextAid user interface languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Swedish
TextAid word prediction and auto-completion feature supports: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish
TextAid spell check feature supports: Arabic, Dutch, English, Faroese, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
TextAid dictation feature supports: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, English (American), English (Australian), English (British), English (Indian), Finnish, French, French (Canadian), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish, Swedish
TextAid read back per character feature supports: Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish